Executive-level training courses are two-day, can’t-miss knowledge and technique-driven seminars created for physicians and
| Exhibitors and sponsors at the event include:
nonphysicians who are looking to provide medical aesthetic services or open a medical spa…the right way. Attendees to this intensive seminar will leave with the tools and tactics needed to successfully and legally operate a medical aesthetic facility. This course is limited to the first 40 people who sign up. Register today and save $75 (expires 5/1/15)!
Monday, June 1 - Tuesday, June 2, 2015
8 am - 5 pm CST
O'Hagan Law Firm
1 E. Upper Wacker Drive, Suite 2015
Chicago, IL 60601
Following is the finalized agenda for How to Successfully Open a Medical Spa or Provide Medical Aesthetic Services in Your Practice.
Agenda for Chicago Executive-level Training
Day 1 (Monday, June 1)
8:30-9 am Opening Keynote: Alex R. Thiersch, Founder/Director, AmSpa
9-10 am The Plan | Speaker: Francis X. Acunzo, President, Acara Partners
When launching a medical spa or starting to offer medical aesthetic services in your practice, developing an effective business plan is essential to provide order and balance to the process and also to secure the necessary financing. In order to do so, one must identify the business concept; classify target audiences and geographic markets; secure demographic data; recognize competitors; and conduct competitive research. An estimation of sales by program is needed, along with determining the architectural program. This includes coming up with the number of each type of resource, support staff and related office space, along with hallways, mechanical areas, and furniture and equipment needs. The total investment must be estimated, and a five-year financial pro forma should be prepared.
10-10:15 am Break: Morning Break
10:15-11:15 am The Build | Speaker: Kim Matheson Shedrick, Senior Vice President, WTS International
• How to create a profitable floorplan.
• How to design a profitable retail area.
• What is the ideal business flow for optimum guest experience and retail sales?
• Top 5 tips for a successful expansion/top 5 tips for a successful new build
• How do you find the right architect/builder/decorator to meet your spa’s specific needs?
11:15-12:45 pm The Books | Speaker: David Thibault, Partner, Brown CPA Group
• What is the best corporate structure for your business?
• Best accounting practices (should include worksheet for handbook)
• Common tax write-offs/deductions
• Software must-haves
• Managing overhead—what’s appropriate for various business sizes/structures
• Putting financial metrics and goals into place and following up on them.
12:45 pm – 1:45 pm Lunch
1:45 pm – 3:30 pm The Launch | Timothy Sawyer, Founder, Crystal Clear Digital Marketing
• Marketing and cross-marketing
• How to form lucrative partnerships
• How to hold profitable events within a medical spa
• Is advertising worth it?
• How to build momentum within your business
3:30-4 pm Break: Afternoon Break
4 pm – 5 pm The Law—OSHA and HIPAA | Speakers: Steve Wilder, Sorensen, Wilder & Associates and Alex Thiersch, Partner, O'Hagan Law Firm; Founder, AmSpa
OSHA compliance in a medical spa
• 5 steps to attaining OSHA compliance.
• 7 common areas where OSHA will get you.
• What you should do should your OSHA surveyor pay you a visit.
• How to write and teach your workplace safety programs, who should be trained, and what must be kept ongoing.
HIPAA and its application within a medical spa
• Common HIPAA liability exposures.
• HITECH Act of 2009 with expanded HIPAA privacy rules in 2013 ... what they mean to you.
• Policies and training needed to be HIPAA compliant.
6 pm – 8 pm Networking dinner
Day 2 (Tuesday, June 2)
8:30-9 am Opening Keynote: Dr. Steven H. Dayan, MD, FACS
9 – 10 am The Team | Speaker: Jamie Parrott, President, MedResults Network
• Hiring right
• Commission structures and plans
• Growth opportunities for team members
• Strengths-based hiring
• Employee retention
• Investing in education and your team
• Incentivizing your team
10 – 10:15 am Morning Break
10:15 – 11:45 am The Infrastructure | Speakers: Kevin Mendell, Strategic Marketing Director Alma Lasers; Terri Wojak, Director, True U; and David Shaffer, Vice President Professional Medical, Insurance Offices of America
• Working with vendors who will work with you
• What to look for in education and marketing support
• How to look for a new product line
• When to buy vs. when to lease
• Top 5 things medical spas need when it comes to insurance
11:45 am – 12:45 pm Lunch
12:45 pm – 2:45 pm
The Law | Speaker: Alex R. Thiersch, Partner, O'Hagan Law Firm; Founder, AmSpa; Jamie L. Filipovic, O'Hagan Law Firm; David Neiman, O'Hagan Law Firm
• Overview of Illinois rules and regulations affecting the medical spa, medical aesthetic and laser industries
• Commissions: The fee-splitting conundrum – is it legal? Is Groupon fee-splitting?
• Current hot topic state-specific issues affecting the industry.
• Ownership: Who can own a med spa? How best to structure a corporation?
• Medical spa supervision and delegation: Must a physician be present and examine every new patient?
• Aestheticians and laser technicians: What they can and cannot do in a medical spa.
• The laws surrounding referrals and gift cards.
2:45 pm – 3 pm: Afternoon break
3 – 4 pm The Long-term | Bryan Durocher, Founder, Durocher Enterprises
• How to build on initial success
• How to hold strategic planning (yearly? Bi-yearly?)
• Goal-setting strategies
• Setting measures for success
4 pm – 5:30 pm Closing: The Lessons | Louis Frisina
• What crucial success lessons have you have learned as a medical spa business owner/physician over the years