Medical Risk Institute is a firm formed exclusively to provide proactive counsel to the healthcare community to help providers understand where liability risks originate and reduce or remove these risks.
There is an unfortunate disconnection between quality of care and malpractice claims. Harvard’s School of Public Health has found approximately 40% of all claims are groundless…meaning there was no evidence of medical error or that the patient did not suffer any injury. What is not so widely known, however, are the non-traditional ways healthcare providers are getting sued in the 21st Century.
Unhappy patients, advertising attorneys, and lottery jury verdicts all make for a disquieting environment for healthcare providers. Liability exposures need to be addressed. Utilizing MRI’s vast knowledge-base and expertise can help your organization in a number of ways:
- Claims are expensive. They are expensive in terms of financial and human resources, even if the claim lacks merit. Your resources are best utilized in the exam room, not the court room.
- MRI is on the leading-edge in terms of identifying new risks and areas of exposure. Threats do not just come in the form of surgical errors and missed diagnosis. New theaters of danger exist such as social media and electronic medical records. We have the experience and know-how to not only do the homework and identify these evolving pitfalls, but completely guide you through this steep learning curve.
- MRI instruction is engaging and practical. Beyond expertise in the field, we are comprised of trained professional communicators, who have been selected to serve as legal analysts for national organizations and publications. Both information and presentation meet the highest standards.
- Peace of mind. Knowing you have done everything possible to guard against claims provides confidence and comfort to staff. There is more to risk management than practicing good medicine and writing a premium check. By moving from risk management to risk mitigation, your organization will replace fear with the feeling of assurance.
MRI believes that in spite of these legal challenges facing the healthcare community, proper proactive education and training on strategies and procedures will enable a medical practice or hospital to protect itself from these and all related claims.
The MRI Difference
Because we are solely dedicated to protecting the healthcare community, our qualifications are decidedly unique:
From instructional courses and material to in-depth audits focused upon reducing liability claims, our interactive and engaging programs will give physicians and staff the skills needed for protection from liability claims for years to come. Sample topics include medical charting, acknowledging and addressing mistakes and bad outcomes, handling difficult patients and understanding the law, proponents and procedure of a lawsuit.
- Specialized Expertise – stemming from a more than 20-year career focused exclusively on helping healthcare providers develop strategies and techniques to avoid medical liability claims.
- Customized Service Offerings – proactive education and training tailored to address your specific areas of concern and high-risk issues.
- Issues Monitoring – identifying emerging threats of liability risk for physician groups and hospitals before they become mainstream.
Click on the links below to find out more about Medical Risk Institute and its services.